This article defines foot orthotics and provides reasons why people need help from foot orthotics. It also gives example of orthotics and provides tips on how and where to get a foot doctor.
Foot orthotics is specially designed inserts that are worn by those individuals who have foot defects. The defects might be natural occurring or an injury due to an accident. Whatever the reason wearing these inserts often alleviates your foot pain. You can get your custom inserts at some pharmacies, medical facilities or an orthotics shop. If you are experiencing foot pain, it is best to consult with a specialist called a foot podiatrist. A custom insert is often recommended for patients who have high arches, flat feet or plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is pain that is felt underneath your heel. There are many causes such as walking a lot on hard surfaces, wearing shoes that are badly worn or offer very little support. The most important and general purpose of using this insert is to reduce pain on the foot that might be caused by a defect. Other reasons include:-
• To control the mobility of the joint or any other part that will be dangerous if left unsupported. If mobility is allowed the injury will be worse
• If the mobility is to be on particular direction then an orthotic will be used.
• They help when movement become impossible for an example a broken leg. The orthotic will aid in reducing pain and increasing stability.
• If an injury does not require a lot on pressure to be put on it. The orthotics is used to reduce pressure by adding thickness around the injury hence putting it far from any contact that might add pressure.
• They help in quick healing of an injury like a fractured leg. It discourages mobility of the injured part hence giving the muscle, ligaments and other tissue to regenerate.
• Apart from reducing unnecessary mobility on the injured part, they help also to maintain shape. Some injuries tend to cause swelling which might end up being permanent if pressure is not applied on the injury.
This type of medical practice is carried out by a specialist called a podiatrist. They must be licensed by the government before they are allowed to practice their specialty. If you need medical attention you should make sure that it is done in a credible facility. Make it your business to know if your healthcare professional is qualified and licensed to practice. You can do a search online to check for reviews and testimonials. Check with your family or friends if they have any recommendations for you.
We have different types of orthotics. For example; Orthosis of the Upper-arm, clavicle, shoulder, elbow, etc. This depends with the part of the body that is injured. Each is designed to fit and serve its purpose without causing any discomfort. They all come in different sizes in that, children and adults patients are sure to get an orthotics that fits them. Your healthcare professional will recommend where you can obtain an orthopedic device. You can get them at some pharmacies or medical facilities. However, if you are suffering from certain types of foot deformities such as high arches, flat feet or plantar fasciitis, a custom orthotics may help alleviate your pain. It is best to check with a reputable foot specialist for the latest treatment.